Significant natural resources
Queensland’s diverse geology, huge resource potential and world-leading processing and mining technology capabilities has made us a leading destination for international mining and resources investment over many decades.
We’re blessed with fertile soils and wide-open spaces that produce clean, green crop and livestock exports. Several new energy projects are also underway in solar and wind power, green hydrogen, and rare-earth and new economy minerals.
- 152 million hectares of land dedicated to primary industries
- An average of 300 days of sunshine a year
- A$61 million over four years to ensure sustainable resource management
- Varied subtropical climate
Smart investments in new minerals
Queensland has some of the world’s largest and richest deposits of new economy minerals. A vast stretch of land in north-western Queensland invites exploration, discovery, development, and mining – with end-to-end prospects for upstream, midstream, and downstream participants.
- No. 1 globally for seaborne coking coal exports (2018)
- No. 2 globally for lead production (2017)
- No. 3 globally for zinc production (2017)
- No. 4 globally for bauxite production (2017)
- No. 1 in Australia for silver production (2017)
- No. 2 in Australia for copper production (2017)
- No. 2 in Australia for LNG production (2017)
The Queensland Government has allocated A$23.8 million to support the development of minerals needed for the new economy. The New Economy Minerals prospectus (released October 2020) showcases the best investment opportunities in Queensland’s minerals provinces.
Smart investments in new energy
A$145 million investment in transmission infrastructure will unlock new wind and solar projects, including three (3) renewable energy corridors.
- A$2 billion Queensland Renewable Energy and Hydrogen Jobs Fund
- More than 5,000MW of renewable energy capacity
- Over 40 large-scale renewable energy projects
- More than 20% of electricity produced from renewable resources
Queensland Treasury Corporation Green Bonds program offers government-backed investment bonds that support Queensland’s transition to a low-carbon, climate-resilient economy.