Sun shines on Edenvale after Japan solar investment
Two Japanese corporate giants will develop a 204MW solar farm at Edenvale on the Western Downs, boosting Queensland’s supply of renewable power.
The 428ha Edenvale Solar Park will be one of Japan’s largest solar investments in Australia, delivered by Sojitz Corporation (a conglomerate with a long investment and trading history in Queensland’s mining industry) and ENEOS Australia Pty Ltd, the local subsidiary of ENEOS Corporation (Japan’s biggest oil company, now looking to renewables and hydrogen).
The new solar park will deliver renewable power for Queensland, with 70% sold to a local electricity retailer and some of the remaining 30% used at the Gregory Crinum Coal Mine, owned and operated by Sojitz.
The sun will also shine for local communities, with the project expected to create 400–450 jobs during construction and more once operational.
Trade and Investment Queensland identified Sojitz and ENEOS as suitable investors for Edenvale, introduced them to local business partners, and helped them navigate Australia’s foreign investment regulations.
Edenvale is part of Japan’s accelerating drive for decarbonisation. ENEOS has previously worked with QUT and the Queensland Government to export green hydrogen from Queensland to Japan in 2019 via methylcyclohexane as a hydrogen carrier – a world-first achievement.
Photo source: https://www.sojitz.com/en/
Last published: 12:36 PM, Thursday, 23 June 2022